Connecticut Car Crash Statistics
In Connecticut, 337 drivers were involved in fatal motor vehicle crashes that took the lives of 248 people in 2014. While this number does represent a gradual decrease over a ten-year period, it also shows that more needs to be done to improve safety on state highways and bi-ways.
Data shows that of those 248 deaths –
- 137 were motor vehicle occupants, half of whom were not wearing seat belts
- 97 deaths involved alcohol
- 69 deaths involving speeding
- 55 were on a motorcycle and 32 were without a helmet
- 47 were pedestrians
- 3 were bicyclists
Of the 137 motor vehicle occupant deaths, only 50 persons were restrained, 48 more were unrestrained, and in 39 incidents, it is unknown if the victims in 39 fatal incidents were using restraints.
Fatal incidents involving alcohol continue to be a problem in Connecticut. Though data shows a drop from 126 alcohol related fatalities in 2012 to 97 in 2014, data shows drunk driving deaths continue to be above the national average.
Fatalities by Crash Type
Of the 248 fatalities in Connecticut in 2014 –
- 158 were single vehicle accidents
- 20 involved large trucks
- 35 were rollover accidents
- 50 occurred at intersections
- 146 involved a roadway departure
A closer look at fatal crash data for vehicle occupants show
- 110 of fatally injured victims were in passenger cars
- Seven were in pickup trucks
- 18 were in light utility trucks
- Two were in passenger vans
- Four were in large trucks
One encouraging statistic is that of all drivers involved in a fatal accident in 2014, only 21 involved a driver under the age of 21, and only one involved a driver under the age of 15. The far majority of fatal collisions and crashes involved adult drivers over the age of 21.
Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident? Call Us Today!
Traveling in Connecticut can be dangerous. If you’ve been injured in a car accident or lost a loved one in a fatal crash, you need a dedicated team of attorneys and legal professionals fighting for your rights. Our attorneys have a long and proven record of helping the victims of car accidents get the compensation they deserve.
Call us today if you or a loved one were injured in
- Commercial bus crashes
- School bus accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Truck crashes
- Motorcycle collisions
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Semi-truck crashes
We’ll fight insurance companies, negligent operators, and reckless drivers to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.