Filing and Requesting a Collision Report in Delaware

Filing and Requesting a Collision Report in Delaware

When you are in a traffic accident, the moments after the collision can be very confusing. You are in shock, and you may be injured. The last thing on your mind is completing and filing a collision report for the crash with law enforcement.

Each state has laws regarding when a collision report must be filed after a traffic accident. In Delaware, drivers are not required to complete and file a report after an accident if nobody was injured. However, drivers are required to report car accidents immediately after the accident occurs under the following circumstances:

  • If it appears that a driver is impaired by alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident;
  • The accident results in the death or injury of a person; or,
  • The car accident occurs on a public highway and causes $500 or more in property damage.

To report the car accident, you contact the law enforcement agency that has primary jurisdiction over the area where the accident occurred. You are not required to know what agency you should call. Calling 911 to report a traffic accident satisfies the requirement to report a collision. The 911 dispatcher will dispatch a police officer and emergency services, if needed, based on the location you provide to the dispatcher. Failing to report a Delaware traffic accident can result in a fine.

Keep in mind that you must also report the car accident to your insurance company as soon as possible.

How Can I Get a Copy of The Police Report?

In addition to being required by law to report a crash, another reason to report the accident is to obtain a police report. When an officer responds to a traffic accident, the officer completes and files a police report. The police report has valuable information such as the date, time, and location of the accident in addition to the names and contact information for all parties involved in the accident. Furthermore, the police report may have a determination of fault by the officer and notes regarding the officer’s investigation upon arriving at the accident scene.

You can obtain a copy of the police report by requesting a copy from the law enforcement agency that responded to the crash. In most cases, you are required to pay a small fee for the copy.

What if the Report is Wrong?

When you receive the copy of the police report, review the information carefully. If factual information such as the name of the street, description of a vehicle, or time of day is incorrect, you can request the officer correct this information. If you simply disagree with the officer’s determination, he is not likely to file a correction.

However, you may request that an addendum is added to the report with your statement regarding why you believe the report is inaccurate. Your request may or may not be granted.

If you contact us regarding your accident, we can help you obtain a copy of the report to review.

WordPress Lightbox Plugin