Getting Medical Treatment After a Truck Crash

Getting Medical Treatment After a Truck Crash

Accidents involving trucks and cars can result in serious injuries.  If you are injured in a truck accident, you will likely need medical care right away.  Even if you do not think that your injuries are that serious, it is always best to see a doctor regardless.  The ambulance bill is worth getting yourself checked out for injuries that may not immediately be obvious to you, such as internal bleeding or other injuries to your organs which may not be noticeable at first.

Our law firm has attorneys in every state that can fight for your rights if you have been injured in a trucking accident.  We are a national firm, with experienced attorneys ready to talk to you about your case.  Call us today to talk about the facts of your case and the medical care you required as a result of the accident.

Emergency Room Treatment

The first place you will often get medical care after being in a truck crash is the emergency room of a nearby hospital.  If your injuries are serious, you will typically arrive at the hospital via ambulance.  Emergency room treatment is necessary to rule out more significant injuries, such as internal damage.  It is also necessary if you require surgery or even if you just have a broken bone.

Primary Care Physician

The next step after you have been discharged from the emergency room is to have a follow-up appointment with your primary care physician.  The emergency room doctor will usually prescribe a follow up with your doctor so that your doctor can determine if any future care is necessary.  Your doctor will also be able to refer you to a specialist if needed due to the nature and extent of your injuries.

Orthopedic Specialists

If the injuries involve broken bones or sprains, you may be referred to a doctor specializing in orthopedics.  This doctor can assess the damage and determine whether they will heal on their own, or if you will need to have surgery to correct the problem.  Usually, a more conservative treatment, such as physical therapy is tried first before surgery is performed.

Chiropractic Care and Physical Therapy

Your primary care or treating physician may refer you to a physical therapist or a chiropractor.  A physical therapist is a licensed health care professional; however, the physical therapist is not a doctor.  Through a course of physical therapy, you will learn to restore your ability to move your muscles as you did before the accident.  Physical therapy can also help to reduce pain due to sprains and strains.  Since physical therapists are not doctors, typically you will need a prescription for physical therapy from your primary care physician or other treating doctor to get this type of medical care.

You may also be referred to a chiropractor.  A chiropractor is a “doctor of chiropractic.” Chiropractors perform manipulation and adjustment therapy to your back and other body parts to relieve pain and to improve muscle function.  Your chiropractor will recommend a specific course of treatment and length of time for treatment at your initial visit, and the treatment plan will be adjusted according to your progress.

WordPress Lightbox Plugin