What Is the Minimum Car Insurance Coverage I Need to Purchase in Idaho to be Legal?

What Is the Minimum Car Insurance Coverage I Need to Purchase in Idaho to be Legal?

Idaho, like every other state, has minimum insurance requirements for motor vehicles. In some states, drivers are required to have liability insurance to protect another driver while other states have a no-fault system that does not require liability insurance.

Idaho is a fault state meaning that you must carry insurance that protects others in the event that you cause a car accident. The current minimum insurance requirements for liability insurance in Idaho is:

  • For injury or death to one person, coverage of $25,000
  • For injury or death to more than one person in an accident, coverage of $50,000
  • For destruction of property, coverage of $15,000

You can purchase coverage in higher amounts. You may also purchase different types of insurance coverage to protect yourself and your family. Idaho car accident attorneys urge you to talk to your insurance provider to determine the best coverage for you based on your needs and your budget.

Many drivers in Idaho do not carry the required insurance coverage or carry the minimum insurance to remain legal. Our attorneys can help you pursue a claim for damages if you are injured in an accident caused by another driver. In some cases, you may need to file a claim against one or more parties or your own insurance company. We can help you sort out the details to maximize the amount of compensation you recover for your losses.

Idaho Is an At-Fault Insurance State

As mentioned above, Idaho is an at-fault insurance state meaning that you are required to carry insurance that pays compensation to others if you cause an accident. Liability insurance does not pay you any money if you are the one to cause the accident. However, if another driver causes a collision and you are injured, you have the right to file a claim against that driver’s insurance policy.

To recover compensation for your injuries, you must prove “fault.” To do this, you will need to prove that:

  • The driver owed you a duty
  • The driver was negligent in breaching the duty
  • The breach of the duty caused a crash
  • The crash caused your injuries
  • You suffered damages because of those injuries

Each driver owes a duty to others to operate the vehicle in a manner that will not cause injury to others. Therefore, if the driver does something that causes an accident; he has breached that duty. For example, speeding, following too closely, failing to yield the right of way, texting while driving, or drunk driving are all breaches of the duty of care. However, you must still prove the collision was the cause of your injuries and your suffered damages.

Once you prove the other driver is at fault, and you suffered damages, you can file a claim to recover compensation for your:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Property damage
  • Physical pain
  • Emotional suffering
  • Other out-of-pocket expenses

The amount of your compensation will be determined by several factors including the actual financial losses, type of injury, the severity of the injury, whether you have a permanent disability and the length of your recovery.

Uninsured and Underinsured Insurance Coverage

Because your damages from a motor vehicle accident can total tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, it is a wise decision to consider purchasing uninsured or underinsured insurance. If you prove the other driver is at fault, the most you can receive from his insurance company is the policy limits. If he carries minimum coverage, that would be $25,000.

Underinsured insurance picks up where the other driver’s insurance coverage stops. Your insurance company pays you the rest of your damages up to your policy limits. If the other driver has no insurance, your uninsured insurance pays your claim. We urge you to discuss these coverages with your insurance agent.

WordPress Lightbox Plugin