When Do I File a Collision Report for a Traffic Accident in Kentucky?

When Do I File a Collision Report for a Traffic Accident in Kentucky?

When you are involved in a car accident, you are required by law to report the accident to the law enforcement office with jurisdiction over the location of the accident. Kentucky Revised Statute §189.635 specifically requires any operating a motor vehicle to immediately notify law enforcement of accidents involving injury, death, or property damage. The quickest way to notify the police is to call 911. When you give the 911 operator the location, the operator will dispatch an officer who has jurisdiction of that location to the accident scene.

The officer investigates the accident, prepares a report, and files the report with the Department of Kentucky State Police. Reports are to be filed within ten days from the date of the collision on an approved form. For accidents involving property damage exceeding $500 that are not investigated by a police officer, the driver is required to file a report of the crash with the Kentucky State Police within ten days of the accident. You can obtain a copy of the Civilian Collision Report Form from the Kentucky State Police office. The form should be filed with the Kentucky State Police, Attn: Records Branch, 1250 Louisville Rd., Frankfort, Kentucky, 40601. You only complete this form if the crash is not investigated by law enforcement.

After a car accident, it can be difficult to know what you need to do, including the steps you need to take to protect your legal right to recover compensation for your injuries. Our Kentucky car accident lawyers can help you by offering guidance and support as you struggle to heal from your injuries. Instead of dealing with insurance adjusters who want to reduce your claim to practically nothing, let our lawyers take up the fight for you while you focus on your health.

Steps to Take After a Kentucky Car Accident

After your accident, the first priority is your health. Call 911 and request a police officer and emergency medical services, if needed. At the accident scene, take pictures of the cars and the area if you can do so without placing yourself or others at risk. If there are eyewitnesses, ask for their names and contact information. Don’t rely on the police officer to gather this information and don’t assume the witnesses will remain after they check to see if everyone is okay.

If you don’t go directly to the emergency room, you should see your family physician the next day. You need to ensure that you are not suffering from a closed head injury or another injury that may not be presenting immediate symptoms. You also need to protect your claim. If you delay medical attention, you give the insurance adjuster an argument that your injuries are not severe or were not the result of the crash. Always follow your doctor’s instructions and attend all follow-up appointments.

The insurance adjuster for the other driver may request a written or recorded statement or a signed medical release. We advise you to consult with one of our Kentucky accident attorneys before providing this information to the insurance adjuster. You could say something that could be used against you later. Even an innocent statement such as “I was in a hurry” or “I was running late” can be used to argue you were speeding or distracted at the time of the accident. It is always best to understand your legal rights and your options before you discuss your claim with anyone.

WordPress Lightbox Plugin