Motor Vehicle Accidents That Occur When a Pedestrian Steps Out Into the Roadway Into the Path of a Car

Motor Vehicle Accidents That Occur When a Pedestrian Steps Out Into the Roadway Into the Path of a Car

Collisions may occur when a pedestrian steps out into the roadway in the middle of the block in the path of a motor vehicle. As with all pedestrian -related car accidents, these accidents can be dangerous and even deadly. Ideally, a pedestrian will cross the street within the crosswalk designated for that purpose, but this is not always the case.

If you were a pedestrian crossing the street mid-block and were hit by a car and sustained injuries as a result of the accident, you should contact one of our attorneys as soon as possible to talk about the facts of your case. We are a national law firm and have attorneys ready to fight for your rights in every state in the country. No matter which state you live in, our lawyers can help. In these types of cases, the specific detailed facts are vital to the success of your case. Since liability can be unclear in these types of pedestrian accidents, it is important to speak with an attorney to be sure your case is properly handled.

Who Is Liable When A Car Strikes A Pedestrian Crossing in the Middle of The Road?

Liability is the biggest factor in accidents involving pedestrians crossing the road mid-block. The driver might have a defense to the accident if the pedestrian darted out into the road too quickly for them to reasonably be able to stop in time to avoid the collision. There are several factors that can help a pedestrian establish that the driver was the party at-fault for the accident. These factors include distracted driving, alcohol use of the driver, speeding, driving too fast for conditions, and disobeying traffic signals.

You May Still Be Entitled to Compensation Even If You Are Partially At Fault

Even if it is determined that you were partially responsible for causing the car accident, you can still win a settlement and be compensated for your injuries. The specific laws vary from state to state. If your case is filed in Alabama, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, or the District of Columbia, you will need to be blameless for the accident in order to get a settlement for your damages. All other states have laws that either allow recovery regardless of the contribution to the cause of the accident, or limit recovery so that if the pedestrian is 50% or more at fault, then the pedestrian is not entitled to recover damages.

If you are in a state where recovery is allowed regardless of the percent of contribution to the accident, you should be aware that the amount of contribution reduces the money you would be awarded. For example, if the jury would find you to be 70% at fault for the accident, your recovery would be reduced by 70%, leaving you with 30% of the award of damages.

If you were hurt in a car accident as a pedestrian crossing the roadway mid-block, you should speak with one of our experienced lawyers as soon as possible to begin aggressively pursuing a satisfactory settlement in your case. You might still be entitled to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering even if you contributed to the accident in any way.

WordPress Lightbox Plugin