Filing a Collision Report in Ohio

Filing a Collision Report in Ohio

If you in a motor vehicle accident, you are required by law to stop your vehicle and trade information with all involved parties being sure to include the name of the owner of the vehicle if it is not yours.

You must also file a crash report with the BMV if:

  • the accident results in property damage or injury of $400 or more or if the crash resulted in death, or
  • the driver or the owner of the vehicle was uninsured or underinsured

Collision reports (Form BMV 3303) are available for download at the Ohio BMV website. NOTE: You must file this report within six months of the date of the collision.

Completing the Ohio Crash Report

When filing the report, you must include the details of your insurance policy in the report, which will be checked by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. An itemized estimation or repair bill for all property damage must be attached to the report. If you were injured in the collision, you must also attach documentation of injuries as well as proof that the insurance company paid for $400 or more in medical costs.

Completed reports are to be mailed to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Columbus, Ohio, at

Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Compliance Unit
P.O. Box 16583
Columbus, Ohio 43216-6583

You can request a copy of the police report online at the Ohio State Highway Patrol website.

Important Notes

If you are in an accident involving an unoccupied vehicle, you must write down your name, address, and vehicle registration number and affix this information to the vehicle in safe and easy to see location.

The police officer(s) called to the scene of the accident will file a police report, which should be attached to the crash report you send to the Ohio BMV.

If you are unable to provide your information at the scene, you will have up 24 hours to report it to the police in the jurisdiction where the accident occurred. You will also need to give the location of the accident and a description of what happened.

If an injury does occur and is serious enough that the person is unable to give, receive, or understand information, you must stay with them until the police arrive.

You do not have to notify the police if it appears that none of the involved parties are injured.

WordPress Lightbox Plugin