What Are the State Minimum Auto and Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in Georgia?

What Are the State Minimum Auto and Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in Georgia?

Do you have the required minimum auto and motorcycle insurance to operate a motor vehicle in Georgia? If not, you could face some stiff penalties. Georgia, like all other states, has laws setting the types and amounts of insurance coverage each driver must have to be “legal” in Georgia.

Minimum Requires for Car & Motorcycle Insurance

Georgia is a “fault” state meaning that every driver must purchase and maintain continuous liability insurance coverage. Liability insurance protects others if you cause a crash. In other words, if you are at fault for a car accident, your liability insurance pays compensation to the people injured in the accident.

The current minimum amounts for Georgia drivers are:

  • $25,000 in coverage for Bodily Injury for one injured person
  • $50,000 in coverage for Bodily Injury for all persons injured in an accident
  • $25,000 in coverage for Property Damage

Property damage insurance does not pay to replace or repair your vehicle. Property damage coverage pays to repair or replace a vehicle damaged in a traffic accident that was your fault.

You have the option of purchasing higher amounts of liability insurance, which may be beneficial if you have substantial assets you wish to protect. In addition, there are several other types of insurance available that you may want to consider.

Other Types of Motor Vehicle Insurance

Unfortunately, some drivers break the law by driving uninsured, and many drivers only carry minimum insurance coverage. Uninsured Motorist Coverage can protect you if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver. Your insurance company would pay your damages as if represented the uninsured driver. Underinsured Motorist Coverage helps pay the difference between the at-fault driver’s insurance coverage and your total damages if the drive’s coverage does not pay full compensation for your damages.

If you have a lien on your motorcycle, car, or truck, the lienholder will require that you purchase Comprehensive Coverage and Collision Coverage. Both Comprehensive and Collision coverage protects your vehicle in the event your vehicle is damaged or destroyed by fire, theft, or another casualty, or you are in an accident that is your fault. Your insurance will pay to repair or replace your vehicle.

Various other types of insurance may be availing including PIP, Medical Payment, Emergency Roadside Assistance, Gap Insurance, and Rental Reimbursement. You should discuss each coverage with your insurance agent to ensure you purchase the types and coverage amounts that are best for you and your family.

Failure to Maintain Insurance

You must provide proof of minimum insurance requirements to register and receive a license plate, renew or transfer a license plate, and legally drive and maintain a vehicle within the state. Failing to maintain insurance can result in one or more of the following penalties:

  • Suspension or revocation of vehicle registration
  • A $25 fine
  • An additional $160 fine if the lapse in insurance coverage is not paid within 30 days
  • Cannot renew or reinstate vehicle registration until fines have been paid and the driver provides proof of insurance

In addition, you could be held personally liable for damages in a traffic accident that is your fault if you don’t have auto insurance to cover the damages.

WordPress Lightbox Plugin