What You Need to Know about the Nebraska Graduated Driver’s License Program

What You Need to Know about the Nebraska Graduated Driver’s License Program

Nebraska’s Graduated Driver’s License program is one of the more unique in the country. Under certain circumstances it allows younger drivers to prepare for and get a special school license before earning a restricted license.

School Permits

A School Permit (SPC) allows certain students to drive themselves to and from school. This permit is available to students between the ages of 14 years and two months and 16 years and three months who:

Live one-and-a-half miles from their attending school, and
Either lives outside a city with a population of more than 5,000, or
Go to a school that is outside a town with a population of over 5,000

Before you can get your SPC, you must obtain the School Learner’s Permit (LPE). The permit gives you at least three months to develop and practice your driving skills. You must have a driving supervisor with you anytime you operate a motor vehicle and this person must be over 21 years old and have a valid driver’s license.

To be eligible for the SPC you must:

  • have the LPE for 60-days or more, and
  • complete an approved driving course and pass the written and road tests, or
  • acquire at least 50 hours of supervised driving experience with ten or more hours acquired at night. These hours must be recorded and signed by your parents, guardian, or driving supervisor on a DMV 50-hour certification form.

Once you have the SPC, you can drive back and forth to school and school-related activities and transport immediate family members to and from school and extracurricular activities without a supervising driver; however, you are required to travel the most direct route on the highway nearest your residence. You are not restricted if your driving supervisor is with you. The SPC automatically expires 90-days after you turn 16.

Learner’s Permit

You can apply for the Learner’s Permit (LPD) when you are 15. Though you can take the permit test two months before your birthday, the state cannot issue it until you turn 15. You will need to pass a vision test and the written knowledge test before receiving driving privileges. However, if you have an SCP or LPE that is current or expired for not more than one year, you do not have to take the written test for the LPD.

Provisional Permit

You are eligible for your Provisional Operator’s Permit (POP) when you are 16, if:

  • You have had one of the permits mentioned above for at six months or more, and
  • You have not acquired more than two points on your record within the six months before applying, and
  • You have completed an approved driving course, and
  • You pass the knowledge and road test given by your driving instructor
  • You have submitted a signed 50-Hour Certification

The POP allows you to drive unsupervised at night if you are driving to or from work, school, or school related activity. You can drive anytime if you have your driving supervisor with you.

For the first six months of obtaining your POP, you are restricted from carrying more than one passenger under the age of 19, unless they are your immediate family.

Operator’s License

You are eligible for your operator’s license at age 18, unless you have had your provisional license for one year or more, and no more than two points have been added to your record. If you hold your provisional license until you are between 18 and 21, you will not have to take the written or road tests.

WordPress Lightbox Plugin