A Guide to Hiring an Auto Accident Lawyer
We all want the best possible professional for any service we are seeking. Just like we want the best heart surgeon, dentist, contractor or CEO, a legal professional who specializes in and has a proven record of success in handling auto accident claims is desirable.
There are a number of ways that you can go about finding and retaining an auto accident lawyer for your or your loved one’s auto accident claim. The best way is to generate a list of 3 to 5 lawyers for consideration. The attorneys on your list can be found by following this guide:
Once you compile your list, call each attorney and schedule a free consultation. If the attorney charges for the consultation, cross the person off your list. Before your interview, prepare a list of questions and be observant.
If the attorney is a sole practitioner, the office or waiting area may not be luxurious, but this is not necessarily a sign of incompetence. The office should not be full of scattered documents, however, as this may be an indication of someone who is not well‐organized or focused.
Your questions for the attorney may include:
- Years of practice
- If injury claims are the main or sole focus of the attorney
- Whether paralegals will be involved and to what extent‐‐this is common as paralegals handle routine matters and are often very experienced and professional
- How many personal injury trials has the attorney handled? Many practitioners have little or no trial experience and settle all their cases or refer the ones that do not settle before trial to other attorneys
- Ask the attorney to explain the entire claim and litigation process
- Obtain a copy of the contingency agreement and ask questions about it. Few car accident cases are handled on other than a contingency basis. Most attorneys charge a one‐third fee of whatever is recovered, plus costs, and may charge 40% if the claim is filed in court
- Meet the paralegal who will be handling the routine features of your case
- Ask what professional organizations the attorney belongs to that are related to personal injury and if he/she has published in this field
- Get a sense if the attorney is genuinely interested in you and your claim
No attorney should tell you what your case is worth as there are too many factors that can influence the outcome. If liability is at issue, your attorney can address that for you as well. The most important thing is to find a lawyer whom you feel confident has your best interests in mind and who has the resources and skills to handle your particular matter.
Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident? Call Us Today!
If you’ve been injured in a car crash or lost a loved one in a fatal collision, you need a dedicated team of attorneys and legal professionals fighting for your rights. Our attorneys have a long and proven record of helping the victims of car accidents get the compensation they deserve.
Call us today if you or a loved one were injured in
- Commercial bus crash
- School bus accident
- Pedestrian accident
- Bicycle accident
- Truck crash
- Motorcycle collision
- Commercial vehicle accident
- Semi‐truck crash
We’ll fight insurance companies, negligent operators, and reckless drivers to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.